Hi all
The last few days have been absolutely amazing.
I went and visited the international school on thursday and friday, it is great. It is much more relaxed than in Britian, I am known as teacher Daniel, a slight change from Mr Johnston. The class sizes are small and that is nice, not many of them can speak much English, that makes it interesting.
I have been going for a daily walk/run around the house. There is a road with jungle on either side. I have seen toucans and various other exotic animals on this walk.
On Friday night I experienced an interesting eating experience. We went to a Pizza all-you-can-eat, I had my first ever white chocolate pizza... mmmmmmmm. I have been trying all the food that I can, it has been ace!
Saturday is a day that I will not forget in a hurry, I went to a church baptism in the amazon river. We spent an hour on a jungle track to get there. It was such a blessing to meet with God's people. It was an amazing place and I swam in the river with the church pastor. For some reason I cannot upload pictures onto here because of the connection, but Facebook seems to work... so if you are desperate to see my photos ask somebody who has Facebook.
On Sunday I went to two different churches. A church called Hebron in the morning and a church plant in the evening (the baptism was this church). It was a very encouraging time, Brazilians are super friendly and very huggy! I have been able to make friends despite the language barrier, infact the Brazilians think my Portugeuse is coming on fast... im not so sure!
I visited the centre of Manaus yesterday and saw some of the sites such as the famous Opera house and the docks. However the centre is flooded because the Amazon river is the highest it has ever been since records began (this may be useful for the Uni students doing the global warming assignment!).
I taught Bible, English and Music in school today, it was nice apart from the fact that there was a power-cut... this meant no air-con. The students and I all hot and sweaty and nobody really enjoyed it. It was encouraging for me to see the brazilians also struggling with the heat!
If you have any questions you want to ask me just put it as a comment and I will try to answer it in my next blog, again I am sorry about having no pictures.
Dan
Hi Dan from all at GG. Stephen wants a sample of your white chocolate pizza. Great to see your pictures of the baptism and LOTS of jungle. the weather in Leeds is almost tropical without the rain 26 degrees. Any ideas for the Kirkstall Festival, man challenges for instance. We are praying for you. They lost the cricket match last night and Phil asked the dynamic duo (Wes and Matthew) to play next week so that they could win. Every blessing. Your Growth Group buddies.
ReplyDeleteAll of this sounds amazing!!! Particularly the chocolate pizza, the pictures look incredible also. You missed the hottest (and probably only summery) days ever! But from what I've read you still win. Look forward to the updates! God bless :)
ReplyDelete