Hi guys,
Once again it has been a good week. School has been going well but we are about to enter a very busy period. Like Britain, the school will be celebrating the Queen's jubilee. There have even been rumours that CNN will be coming to film our 'jubilee street party' on wednesday. You can only imagine the title of the newsreel... 'even in the Amazon people are celebrating 60 years of the Queen's reign'. I am not 100% convinced this is true, it may just be a ploy to make the Brazilians get organised... as this is not one of their strong points. If it does happen I will keep you posted!
It is only a 3 day week this week, the Brazilians have a national holiday this week... but not for the jubilee. I don't know what it is... and neither do most Brazilians but nobody really cares!
On Friday night we went to a large shopping centre in Manaus... the equivalent of the trafford centre in Manchester. It is quite weird that their is a huge shopping centre in the middle of the amazon, but the whole of Manaus is quite a weird really!
Yesterday (Saturday) we went out of town to a place where we could swim. It was a nice place and the place doubled up as a fishery which was in a jungle area. The place was packed with fish and I saw the famous Pariacou... (i think that is how you spell it... im probably wrong!) The one I saw was about 5 feet long, but they can grow much bigger! The swimming was very nice, it is just ace to be able to swim in the amazon. I think it is worth noting that I was not swimming with the big fish... that would have been scary but I was swimming with some little ones.
While we were there we also ate freshly cooked river fish and boy was it yummy, sooo sooooo good! Tambaqui and Matrxao were the names of the fish. It was definately some of the tastiest fish I have ever had, the only issue was all the little bones!
In the evening we went to a church anniversary service at the congregational baptist church plant. It was a 3rd year anniversary and there was a big service by the churches standard. There was perhaps 70 people there and afterwards we all had ice cream. It is interesting to note that every year they have a big anniversary service, unlike in Britain where it is only done on big occasions. It was a very encouraging time.
Nature has made itself known this week in a number of ways. One day we had a powercut which sent our whole area into complete darkness... this was all because of a tropical storm. It was absolutely throwing it down, and you wonder why they call it the rainforest? Another incident happened later in the week where Andy and Jenny's room was subject to an ant invasion during the night... that certainly was not a pleasant experience. One of the girls saw a turrachula the other night outside the house, I was desperate to get a picture but by the time I went out with my camera it had gone.
I know some of you would like to see pictures of the house and people I am staying with etc. I am trying to do those pictures now but the family are apprehensive about having their photo taken...
On a closing note... as most of the audience is British it seems unfair to not say something about the weather. I know you had a few hot days, with one even 28 degrees or something... well here in is that temprature at 9pm usually. At midday it is usually in the early to mid 30s... and it is super humid. It's like you're constantly walking into a wet towell!
Thanks for your prayer and support
Daniel
No comments:
Post a Comment